View Single Post
Old 01-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #244
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Building a new computer at the end of the month, as a friend is offering me a few new parts on a nice discount (and will list those with a * beside them). Would appreciate some advice or suggestions on a few parts though!

Case: I don't actually know? A mid-tower with no windows is preferred. I figured I would just pick whatever is on sale at the time but if there any suggestions for good air flow I'll take them!

CPU*: i5-6600K - 3.5 GHz, 6 MB Cache
CPU cooling: I've been told this thing can hit around 4.4 GHz with air cooling with no issues, so I'd be fine with a standard CPU fan for like $30.

Motherboard*: Asus Z-170P - DDR4 2133

RAM*: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4 2133

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB with 64 MB cache (I already own this, so I figured this will suffice for secondary storage for now)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 Turbo Series 6GB (There are so many 1060 models that I have no idea which is actually worth getting!)

Power Supply: Corsair CS Series 650W Modular (I would hope 650 is enough - but I'm not sure how to know.)

Thoughts?
Looks good!

For a non-windowed Case, I'm always partial to Corsair's low to mid-level lines (200r-500r) for affordable air-cooling. The 500r in particular has lots of room to move, good grommet placement, sliding/removable bays, closed loop ready, and comes with 1x200mm & 3x120mm plus a fan controller built in. The 200r is about half the price but smaller/crampier, and uses 2x120mms on the side (not included) instead of a much quieter 200mm, however it is still great to work with for a sub-$80 case and has a surprising amount of features for its pricepoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post: