View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 12:47 PM   #326
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

This past season was incredibly frustrating. Watching this emotionless team get dummied at the Dome on too many occasions meant massive change was needed. For myself there were 2 moves that NEEDED to happen the first was firing Gulutzan as I felt he was a huge part of the culture and problem with the team. The other move that had to happen was moving Dougie Hamilton. I felt as an asset he had sky high value but I also felt that something was definitely off with him.

Treliving adding Peter’s was not my top choice but I understood the move. Glad that Gulutzan was let go and happy the Flames got their guy. It became clear that the Flames were going to move Hamilton as the draft weekend approached. Treliving took a fairly large risk but a risk that made a ton of sense for the team. He was able to acquire a Dman with similar if not greater upside and a coveted right shot forward. He also had to include fan favorite Ferland and top prospect Fox. With Ferland’s inconsistency and contract situation and Fox not signing it made sense to add them to the package and get back the players we needed.

My concern after the deal was the significant work that Treliving needed to do to improve the scoring. Lindholm is an upgrade on Ferland but not a massive one. If anything the offense got a little worse when taking Hamilton and Hanifin into the equation. We all knew Derek Ryan was coming here and that occurred. It was nice to win the Czarnik sweepstakes as he could be a steal but again far from a sure thing. Today’s signing of James Neal at a respectable free agent contract was the last big win that has me extremely optimistic about next season. Coupled with the addition of Lindholm the Flames top 6 is vastly improved.

So far I would say the Flames have improved the most out of the Pacific division teams. Now if Vegas lands Karlsson or the King’s snag Skinner it could be up for debate but when looking at our neighbors to the north who had an equally if not greater disappointing season I am thankful we have Treliving looking after our squad.

Last edited by Vinny01; 07-02-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post: