Old 06-20-2019, 09:26 AM   #48
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
"I started lifting and accidently got ripped!"

-No one ever.

It's extremely difficult to "get jacked". You won't do it by accident.

There's no evidence that strength training hampers running, in fact it's the opposite. Maybe if you're hauling around 30 extra pounds of muscle but that's about it. I'm very hesistant in these threads to tell people do this or don't do that. Fitness is far more about sustainability and enjoyment than what exactly you're doing.
I agree. However 30 lbs of pure muscle is a huge amount. Also unless you were both obese and weak to begin with, you'd see some fat gain with that. So you'd more like be putting on 40-50 lbs. This is going to change your body composition dramatically. Even 1/3 of that could affect your ability to run long distances, due to the extra weight alone.

That being said, to gain that type of muscle takes a lot of focus and work. It's not a case of having a squat day once a week, and then accidentally getting so huge you can't run long distances anymore.

My weight fluctuates between 155-170 lbs, depending on my routine and diet. When I'm smaller, my big lifts go down. When I'm bulked up, long distances become noticably harder. And it's not just extra fat that's causing that. Even when my bodyfat percentage is lower, if I have too much mass bodyweight and long distance running are harder. Even a 5 lbs difference is noticable.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote