Thread: Hong Kong
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 11:48 AM   #91
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Anecdotal experience prescribed to the majority of any group is pretty much the definition of assigning stereotypes, so I'm not sure why people seem to be arguing it (this includes the whole "Americans in Cuba" example). Narrowing that assignment to a race, is racist. Further, the argument that Chinese from the mainland somehow are lesser because they come from communist China blows my mind.
I think your missing the point here. No one directly said mainland Chinese people are inferior. It’s obviously not right to paint an entire brush over a race or group of people. What people are saying is that they see why people do so in places like HK or elsewhere because it’s hard to not notice the distinguishable difference in how a large majority of mainlanders act and treat other people abroad. Nobody is a set way because of the color of their skin or the place they were born however they certainly can fall into a stereotype by the culture and customs they were raised in. And obviously those clash with a lot of the people in HK and the way they are with their own customs and culture. Even though they both are very similar otherwise.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote