View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 12:12 AM   #1003
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Stomper was amazing, but I'm going to say that the best promo he ever did was during the quick feud with Bad News Allen that pretty much ended Stampede wrestling at the time.

So strap in kiddies because there's some pre-amble and post amble.

I also want to add that this was a Bruce Hart story line that almost caused Stu to have a heart attack.

The story line was that there was the usual war with the Harts on one side and Bad News Allen and Stomper on the other. One Friday night at Stampede wrestling with a young Captain Crunch in attendance all hell broke loose.

The feud had cunulated in a six man tag team match with the Harts on one side and on the other side we had Bad News Allen and Stomper and his son Jeff, who Archie had been training to be a wrestler. (Jeff was played by wrestler Tommy Lee Jones (Not the actor) who later became Tommy Lane who found some fame as one half of the tag team Rock n Roll RPM's with Mike Davis). About half way through the match Bad News turned on Stomper and viciously attacked his son pile driving him on the concrete floor. At that moment a frenzied crowd started to basically flee in terror as some members of the audience attacked Bad News and he did what Bad News does and beat the crap out of audience members.

After they basically cleared the house, Bad News came out with a brilliant promo where he basically said "Do you see what I did to his son I broke his neck, I don't care if the son of a bitch dies". Gouldie did the most understated but most awesome promo he's ever done where he stated that he regretted getting his son into the business, that he was going to the hospital to see his son and then he was going to get the man that hurt his son.

On a side note, Kayfabe was alive and well in Stampede Wrestling and not in the winking way that it was done in New York.

Thousands of fans flooded hospitals looking for Jeff Gouldie because there was a panic that he was seriously hurt or dead. Meanwhile Tommy was spirited to the airport and rushed out of town back to Texas.

After the interview Ed quit for real, Bruce hadn't smartened him up and Ed was always a mark for himself.

The Calgary Athletic commission (A real thing back then) yanked Stampede Wrestling's license and would only restore it if Stu was willing to place a $100,000 bond which he didn't have.

The Indian Strap match was scheduled the next week at the Sarcee reservation far out of town, but it couldn't capture the passion or fury of the riot because Stu put a ton of limitations on the match. Because of the distance and a weather advisory the next weekend, the return match was poorly attended.

Furious with Bruce for the storyline that cost him so much, Stu pretty much decided to shut down Stampede Wrestling because it had been a constant drain and money loser for years, and we saw it sold to Vince McMahon.

Stampede Wrestling under Bruce had been devolving into a blood and guts show where he would bring in noted bleeders like Abdullah the butcher and other garbage wrestlers that would burn out territories with the violent matches before departing.

Look Bruce was a very creative person with two very big problems. He always put himself at the top of the card, though he just wasn't as talented as his other brothers and looked like a substitute teacher which he was. He was too reliant on shock value stuff that would burn out a territory.

Any ways here's the after riot promo's by Bad News and by Archie and the strap match.

Oh and if you want to ask, did a young Captain Crunch take part in the riot? Nope, I knew what was coming and headed for the freaking exit.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 07-21-2019 at 12:15 AM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: