View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 07:20 AM   #32
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Gaudreau was a solid deal. He seemed kind of disappointed about it in an interview with Ryan Whitney. I think if he had any kind of negotiating rights at the time he would be substantially better paid right now.

Mackinnon was coming off a 52 point season when he signed. Barkov had a 36 point rookie season, followed by 30 points in 38 games when he signed. Scheifele was coming off a 60 point season.

Draisaitl scored 77. He was going to get more. Guess they should have signed him to 6x6 after his 50 point sophomore season.
The problem was playing him on Mcdavids wing in his contract year. Get they went on a run there but it cost them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Would somebody really have offered equal or more than $8.5 for a player living off McDavid? I highly doubt any team with that amount of cap space would take the chance of loosing 4 1st's for this guy.

It's my opinion Chia screwed up by giving MaDavid's $12.5 contract first when he didn't need to
I agree its a lot to give up and too much for me. It could haven 2 1sts a 2nd and a 3rd for a 6 x 8.1M too who knows. If your a team like Montreal that has needed a top tier Center for a decade and they believed he was the guy that could be that for them then maybe you go for it. They also could have gotten Draisaitl and kept Sergachyev. Try to stay out if the top 10 picks for the next couple seasons. I do remember rumblings even from the insiders.

Whether or not it would have happenned we will never know. Did Chia need to pay that much to prevent an offer sheet, again who knows but I guarantee the Draisaitl camp leveraged it.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 07-11-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote