View Single Post
Old 06-25-2018, 11:47 PM   #1331
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
If your stereo speakers center an image well and have good off-axis response, the sound is perfectly locked on the TV screen at multiple seating positions. Center channels are nice, but unnecessary. The only scenarios I'd say centers are vital are in cars and in very wide (over ~16 foot distance between left and right speaker, most setups are 8 to 10 feet) proper theater rooms.
I really agree with your 2.0 analysis, nicely stated. 2.0 or 2.1 are excellent for TV watching in my opinion and good choice for Goinalltheway.

Centers really come into play in a proper theatre setup. They help create a proper 'soundstage' at the front of your theatre. They handle the majority of dialog. I always tell my clients the two most important speakers in a home theatre are the center and the subwoofer. I am not sure if GranteedEV was talking about 8-10 feet stereo or HT setups not requiring a center. i would agree with the stereo setup but strongly disagree with the HT setup. The center is vital for any 5.1, 7.1 or atmos setup.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote