View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 09:34 AM   #304
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
A bit of a long shot, but does anyone know how difficult it is to get vaccinated in Mexico with a Canadian approve vaccine? We’re trying to persuade an anti-vaxxer but it’s hard to wade through all the misinformation.
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...etermine-fully

There's 4 vaccinates that are accepted and I believe you are allowed to mix them. But I don't know access in Mexico... However, I think the concerns are mixed up.

The friend or yourself, the vaccination in general is the easy part. It's the mandatory quarantine part that's the nightmare.

For someone who is an anti-vaxxer, you will likely not be able to convince them with logic. Any logic, efficacy etc. type of info you bring up, will likely have a counter point of at least a minimum of, "Blah, blah, blah, blah, I can't hear you through your bleating you sheeple." etc. You'll have to determine yourself based on your understanding of the individual as to how to approach it. The more honorable method is to attempt something like Street Epistemology, but it's a difficult method that takes a while to implement with only the intention to open up a conversation to soften the attitude against vaccination. It's not even a guarantee to work. It's basically Inception: Covid 19 for real life. You also may have to try and attempt to have conversations unconnected to logic. You basically just have to sit down and let them play out the internal dialogue and then clarify their own definitions and opinions and let themselves question their own opinion. This can take a while though, but it's perhaps the only possible first step for a die hard who is more than happy to berate someone who has an alternate opinion to themselves. There's a podcast on how to do this that was posted a few weeks ago in this forum. It's 3 hours long.

Other approaches that are perhaps underhanded include: Bets, YOLO, arguing about the headache the individual is creating and how that person will likely be on their own if the headaches come to fruition, bribes, guilt tripping/calling in a favor, pure rage and rebellion etc. Or you can basically use the logic, get frustrated, get angry, stop talking like the vast majority of interactions out there, but this method is much more likely to hurt the chances of people getting vaccinated rather than help, so I highly do not recommend this. I mean, for some it feels good to berate someone who isn't vaccinated and use them as an outlet, but it's not a beneficial action in the grand scheme of things. It is better to do nothing than that method. All of these likely will rear their ugly head as soon as you run into some form of the quarantine headache though. So keep that in mind.

Good luck. These conversations with the unvaxxinated are not fun for them or for you. I've had a few of them already. Some long, some exceptionally brief. I wouldn't recommend it. I just personally felt a moral obligation to try the harder method to approach friends and acquaintances of mine to see if I could contribute towards softening their stance and increase the odds that they might vaccinate vs contributing to the odds they absolutely do not vaccinate.

Last edited by DoubleF; 09-20-2021 at 09:37 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote