View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 11:22 AM   #292
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was posted in the Tesla thread, but I thought it would be a good point of discussion here:

https://business.financialpost.com/t...ehicle-rebates

Are there any studies that show how beneficial these kind of rebates are to reducing CO2 emmisions? It kind of sounds like a lot of money given out, and private vehicles account for about 20% of our emmisions. I'm just wondering if this money would be better spent elsewhere.

The fact that all current electric vehicles are just replacing fairly fuel efficient cars at this point, is there a big gain to be made, or is this mostly marginal improvements for large amounts of money? At ~40 000 sales a year that's $200 million, not including provincial incentives. Now, I have to assume most of these 40 000 don't qualify, but when the prices do come down, is it a big benefit? What are the real CO2 reductions by this policy?

There was a CBC news story last night about Salt Spring Island and how it is a hotbed of electric cars, but you could probably get away with a golf cart there. Are we just going to be giving moeny away for these super short drives these people do that has a near zero effect on our emmisions?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote