View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #1103
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Isn't the whole point of tenure to protect professors from just that kind of pressure? How many statements do you think MIT would have released about Noam Chomsky if they took the approach you're advocating the U of T take with Peterson?
Since you frame it that way, yes, I am definitely wrong in my comments and will change my position accordingly.

I guess this may be why there is a movement afoot to remove tenure, or no longer offer it in the future. I can see where some would consider that a potential silencing mechanism, but I see it more of a way to rid the institution of non-performers or those who do harm to the institution or its reputation.

BTW, just finished watching the Munk debate. Very entertaining, so thanks for posting the link. I thought Fry and Dyson were excellent. Goldberg was out of her element, but scored some good points. Peterson didn't do any justice to his side of the argument. I thought he came off as the angry white man Dyson described, and he got side tracked by that comment and never got back on course. Fry scored the only points for his side, and I think it was because he knows the left so well, and could speak to or exploit their weaknesses, as he suggested.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote