View Single Post
Old 09-20-2020, 08:31 AM   #504
vtec260
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I buy NAPA Gold filters, mostly because I get a discount, but they're made by Wix so they're really good. Stay away from FRAM.

I haven't had any issues with any Fram filters for past 20 years. Orange basic ones, I'd have used them for around 6000km OCI with dino oil. Lately, I am using Toughguard ones and I leave it for two OCI as they are rated for 24000km using synthetic oil (Honda maintenance even states oil filter change every other time with OEM ones which are Fram sourced) and most of my oil changes are around 10000km, depending on drive cycle. Walmart is clearing them out at $3 each if anyone wants to stock up on Toughguard one.

Fram synthetic oil filters are rated for much longer and others have left it for 3-4 OCI's without issue. Check out BITOG forum as there are many interesting topics related to various oil and filters.

Antidrain valve is not as important if the oil filter sits vertically to the engine (like Honda V6). If filters are horizontal fitting (Civic I4), the having a good antidrain valve would be something that I'd look into for better quality.

I've used Napa NASCAR endorsed oil filters awhile back and all of them leaked at the gasket. Higher grade Napa filters are probably better, but I won't go my way to buy Napa when Fram is readily available everywhere.

Last edited by vtec260; 09-20-2020 at 08:34 AM.
vtec260 is offline   Reply With Quote