View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 04:08 PM   #1738
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
They're not talking about best movies though. They're talking about best movie moments/scenes.

To be honest, it would be tough for me to come up with non-superhero/sci-fi/etc scenes that have had any great impact over the last 20 years.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...ner-announced/
  1. The Joker from The Dark Knight
  2. The Snap from Avengers: Infinity War
  3. “I see dead people” from The Sixth Sense
  4. Carl and Ellie in the opening of Up
  5. Avengers assemble in New York from Marvel’s The Avengers
  6. The government lobby scene from The Matrix
  7. Gollum talks to Smeagol from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
  8. “No Man’s Land” from Wonder Woman
  9. The upside-down kiss from Spider-Man
  10. Juan teaches Chiron to swim from Moonlight
  11. “Santa, here? I know him!” from Elf
  12. Harry Potter and Lord Voldemort duel from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2
  13. “Remember me?!” from Mad Max: Fury Road
  14. The chest-waxing scene from The 40-Year-Old Virgin
  15. The bridesmaids get food poisoning from Bridesmaids
  16. London is deserted from 28 Days Later…
  17. A kiss in the rain from The Notebook
  18. Satine’s entrance from Moulin Rouge!
  19. Crossing the Edmund Pettus Bridge from Selma
  20. Heather’s confessional from The Blair Witch Project
  21. “Cars don’t fly!” from Furious 7

I think this list from Vanity Fair is much more balanced and is better at explaining why the scenes have cultural or cinematic significance.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...t-movie-scenes

Like having Revenge of the Sith in there because it started the full green screen/CGI craze that has been duplicated for the last couple decades (successfully and unsuccessfully).
The Vanity Fair one makes more sense. The geek-bias of the RT vote is very apparent to the point of being almost funny. Both for what it includes and what it omits.

It's funny. I think "the snap" is up there because comic movies are or have been at the absolute height of popularity, but thanks to the way Disney produces and schedules these movies it wasn't remotely surprising or significant. It was closer to a Dukes of Hazard "oh gee, how are the boys gonna get out of THIS one?" moment than something with real stakes in the story. You knew there was a second movie, you knew a boatload of the characters had movies coming up, etc. And even given that, it's a comic book movie. Like the comic books they're based on, they can bring back these characters whenever they want in whatever unbelievable way they choose. That's what they do.

Until superhero films start exploring uncharted territory, they're just replaying moments that have already happened. It's hard to get TOO excited about stories where you know 90% of what happens (and weigh their re-telling as culturally significant) but pop-fans are a passionate bunch. Happens just the same in music and television.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote