View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 05:12 PM   #9
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
The Woodstock Generation crap never appealed to me. Most of it was just Boomer narcissism. Music was mediocre, barely experimental, and rebellion for the sake of rebellion.

Yes, that is just a hot take, I know, but god, I cannot stand 90% of those musicians.

The hold they have over even our present culture is honestly just a sign of people's mediocre taste in music.

Sorry, sorry.
It's hard to put what was going on into perspective now, after seeing what baby boomers eventually became. However, at the time their rebellion and attitude was totally in opposition to the 50s/early 60s era extreme social repression. Not only was culture horribly censored and repressed but the cold-war anti-communists functioned as thought police, invading every part of life.

Even music, was heavily controlled and censored. Things like distortion and playing slightly out of tune or off-beat, were considered extremely experimental at the time.

Everything was also in the context one of the most brutal and definitely most pointless American wars ever.

Seeing what many babyboomers actually became, and how they basically betrayed everything, but the self-indulgence, really makes it hard to appreciate the good of the "hippy" movement.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post: