View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #41
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
He's being sarcastic/facetious.

I don't think we should be shaming smokers either. I thinking shaming people will either piss them off or hurt them. We have one thread here where we say "oh those horrible kids... bullying people". And then we have threads where we say "hey, those people should be bullied". There are much better ways to promote change than ridicule. Like I said before, it was the bullying in high school regarding my weight that lead me to near suicide. Making people feel really small is not a solution.... Unless the goal is to hurt people. Then kudos.
I agree with you that fat shaming is not an acceptable approach to curb obesity. Bullying people and shaming people for being fat is the equivalent to shaming people who have pimples. Some of them may not take care of their skin, and some of them may try everything to take care of their skin. Obese people come in all varieties, the ones who do everything they can to shed pounds & live healthy lifestyles and the ones who eat fast food everyday then go home and play xbox. We can't lump them all into one category. The fact that obesity is sometimes a physiological problem makes things even more complicated.

However, when people look at a photo of a woman in great shape with her three kids & a slogan that says 'What's Your Excuse' and see that as fat shaming...it gets a little ridiculous. That is not fat shaming. That's inspiration to go get fit. If you look at it as fat shaming it's because you're refusing to see the message in a positive way as it was intended, and instead twisting it around to be something negative. Coddling the group of people that may be offended by a message does no one any favors, and it's annoying.

For the record, I went home last night and did 30 minutes of really easy yoga, because she inspired me to. No joke.

/thread derailment from me.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post: