View Single Post
Old 06-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #43
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Most people know that the current government and economic doldrums will be long gone by the time the Olympics would occur. I think most long time residents of Calgary would be supportive given the success and positive legacy of the 88' games. It's just the transplants for the no-fun provinces that need to be won over.

I wasn't around to enjoy the 1988 Olympics but I had the good fortune to experience Vancouver 2010. Not only was it a fantastic experience to attend, the games were transformative for that city as well.

If this bid allows us to use federal funding upgrade our existing facilities while getting a new arena and stadium it's a win for the city. Not to mention potential infrastructure perquisites like an LRT airport link, passenger rail to Banff/Lake Louise, and maybe even high speed rail to Edmonton.
They do? Wow that's amazing to know you can project 10 years into the future of government finance. Care to tell me what all the oil companies will be trading at in 10 years so I can plan my investing accordingly? People know the present, period. They see taxes going up, they see the NDP being the NDP, the see multiple recent Olympic disasters. Right now this would easily fail as a public measure.