View Single Post
Old 04-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #9
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

My initial reaction was there stupid and I’m on team Silver. But thinking about it I see the usage case.

The benefits would be ease of set up, perceived protection animals / weather, and not having to tow anything / need a bigger vehicle.

I haven’t set one up but if you can leave your sleeping mat and bag set up wen you close and all you are doing is lifting it open than that might be the fastest set up available. Certainly faster than even backing up the trailer into the site. The animal / weather protection is an unfounded fear as tenting properly is just as secure. Not needing a new vehicle is also a big win.

So I would say that if you have a smallish SUV, no family, and want a quick set up that these roof tents are a reasonable solution.

What doesn’t make sense are tent trailers. All of the inconvenience of pullin a trailer combined with all the set up time of a tent and still a fabric body that you can’t store food in. Tent trailers seem to be used based on fear of weather and a dislike of sleeping on the ground likely based on using blue foam pads in a leaking tent in ones youth.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: