View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 01:38 PM   #147
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nice anecdote, but sorry you're still basing your opinion on not seeing whats on my TV, therefore its irrelevant. Telus is IPTV and compressed their streams all the time, I remember that clearly when I had their service. Shaw was compressing theirs as well on numerous channels. If you think you're getting "true full HD", you won't be unless you're getting it on a stored data source locally read. All streamed data, transmitted to your cable box is encoded, encoding and compression results in loss. Either way, we are going in circles here, if you've got Shaw or Telus, I've had both on my current setup, and I've seen and compared. You don't have my service so you can't comment other then anecdotally and without any validity, so just give it up.

My internet costs $60/month, I have had negotiated channel packages, and they still cost much more than what I'm paying. I cancelled early, paid a penalty, got a better deal on internet and came out way ahead. Shaw advertises "limited" TV at a regular rate of $120/mo with internet and 28 channels. Promo rates don't count, those are just to get you signed up. By their site I calculate on the packages alone its $131 just to add the channels I currently get (but I get 4x as much) to the base TV package with internet. If you honestly feel that its worth paying that much to Shaw or Telus for marginally different (or better as you seem to feel) service, please spend away. I spoke with my wallet and was unhappy with the service and cost provided, and until they offer reasonably priced a la carte service there isn't a chance I'll be back.

I can bring TV with me anywhere I travel, I can watch it on my phone (without georestriction), I have the exact same interface as a cable box with EPG and information, I have every single movie channel, NHL, NFL, NBA, MLB, you name a network or channel, international or otherwise and its there. This isn't some dark age in IPTV. Sure some of the players in the game might be shady, but someone has to give cable something to think about.

Now that we are far enough off topic, I'll still say Shaw wins just because of Shaw Open sites being more accessible in more places. Bringing it back