View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 01:08 AM   #38
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

When it comes to routers or mesh systems that use access points there is a backhaul. What that means is when your connected to the access point it must first communicate with the main/parent node and information travels from the child node to the parent node and back again. The issue with access points without a dedicated or wireless backhaul is it uses the same channel (band) to downstream as it does to upstream which in turn lowers your throughput(speed) by as much as 50%.

Great systems have a parent node and multiple child nodes that are connected by Ethernet to insure top speeds. Ubiquiti has multiple options when it comes to setups. The one being explained in this thread by most of the users involves buying a managed switch then connected all your access points to this switch by Ethernet. The access points then provide a strong wireless signal by blanketing the home and do not suffer from cold spots or loss of speed when you are out of range of the main router.

Other systems that work well are Linksys Velop, Netgear Orbi, asus AiMesh and Ubiquiti’s consumer options. I had mentioned I had tried several mesh systems and only liked the first three I mentioned above as the other offerings were unable to consistently stream 4K uhd from my server. I attributed this to undedicated backhaul channels/wired backhaul as well as over management of the wireless networks. I have not tried ubiquitis new consumer setup because I am more then satisfied with my AiMesh and Velop setup.

Last edited by Diemenz; 07-26-2018 at 01:11 AM.
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diemenz For This Useful Post: