View Single Post
Old 03-05-2020, 04:55 PM   #23
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had no idea where to put this but for the first time, Dom Luszczysyn at The Athletic released the engine behind his wildly successful player-based team projections. I've filtered to just the Flames' forwards and defencemen - hopefully that's okay but if not please delete.

For those unfamiliar, the projections are forward-looking not current pace, and use past seasons+current season weighted.

2019-20 NHL player projected GSVA
https://theathletic.com/1653561/2020...rojected-gsva/

Fowards

Spoiler!

- Tkachuk has been the Flames' best all-around player by some margin, matching the eye test.
- Gaudreau, in a down year, is still effective. His poor play is over-exaggerated due to having the puck so often, relative to someone who is positionally poor away from the puck, which causes eyes to focus on him.
- Monahan's defence . Nobody denies his elite finishing ability but the #1 C is the most important position on a hockey team. Very difficult to win the ultimate prize without an elite two-way #1 C. This is such a tough spot for the Flames.
- Andrew Mangiapane ranking so high is impressive, then you consider his ice time and OFF and DEF ratings relative to that. Massive breakout season - excited for what's to come with more ice time.
- Mikael Backlund has really turned things around but the one knock is always his penalties, noting his level of competition.
- Derek Ryan is quietly dependable. Awesome acquisition by the Flames.
- Bennett and Lucic also deep into the negative penalty differential especially considering ice time and competition, however how they arrived there is much different. Bennett is very frustrating.
- Mark Jankowski exists. Rarely scores and rarely gets scored on.

Defencemen

Spoiler!

- Gio, even in a "down" year, is one of the best defencemen in the league. Hard not to take penalties as a defenceman with his minutes and compeition.
- Brodie is having a marvelous season back on the right where he's far more comfortable and effective.
- Andersson, known as a youngster as an offensive defencemen, has made astonishing progress in his own zone. Once his offence develops (soon!) he will be a force. What a player.
- Snap shot of the two new boys.
- Hanifin is exciting high-event hockey. Needs to get more engaged in his own end - still young and capable of significant improvement.
- Hamonic is having a very very tough year. Lost half a step and his gaps have been brutal as a result and everything has avalanched from there. Hope he rebounds as he's a warrior.
- Michael Stone gets paid by an NHL team in the year 2020, LOL.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."

Last edited by united; 03-06-2020 at 01:01 PM.
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post: