View Single Post
Old 11-01-2020, 04:23 PM   #186
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Time for an update a year and half later.

Are people on track? Has COVID or the difficult job market set you back? Are you investing? If so, what are you doing?
I’ll say this much:

I got laid off in March. I have not been looking for a job. Wife and I decided to move, so we bought a house in a different city (paid cash, previously only rented for our adult lives).

I haven’t been contributing to any investments since last November, when word of approaching layoffs began.

But I track my net worth every 15 days, and from EOY 2019 to today, my investment balance is up about 2.9% and total net worth (not counting the house, so just investments plus cash) is only off by about $60k, primarily due to the house purchase.

I have been extremely lucky. I got a decent severance which helped to pay for the house, or at least made the purchase price easier to accept. And I have always saved at least 50% of my net when I was working.

My investments are a simple 3 fund Boglehead type portfolio: 50% total us stock market, 10% total international stock market, and 50% bonds. I do not intend to ever sell, except to tax loss harvest, but I’m always invested according to my asset allocation. Going forward, I hope to live off of dividends and interest payments. I guess I’ll see how that plan ends up going....
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HockeyIlliterate For This Useful Post: