View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 09:14 AM   #19
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I'd 100% be listening to the foundation guy, and certainly not the home inspector. I really don't agree with anything he said.

What is the perimeter of your house like? Do you have adequate downspouts and extensions to get rain away from your foundation? Do you have a yard the slopes towards your home?
Yeah, the only thing is that if the foundation guy wants work, it makes sense that he would suggest an expensive solution (he’s asking for a $4500 solution), when there could be other solutions that do not affect the resell of the house. Putting a sump pump in a bedroom significantly reduces the ability to use that room as a bedroom, and it raises a red flag during selling when you have 2 sump pumps in different rooms.

There has been no history of flooding in 16 years since the house was built, and no seepage of water through adjacent foundation cracks. This suggests to me that although this may be a problem, it may not be as serious as needing a second sump pump and invasive trenching.

The perimeter in that area looks mostly good, a downspout drains about 4 feet away, and it doesn’t seem like it is sloping toward the house. I may do some landscaping this summer to improve some of the grade.
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote