View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #43
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well for some reason I had it in my head that you were a forward? I have no idea why.
I am gonna give you a pass this once....

Quote:
I jut feel like we're going to go in circles here though. I don't mean that rucking has zero skill involved, I'm talking about the play leading into the ruck though. I'm sorry but being there in support for your teammate with the ball and binding to him isn't any more skilful than arriving a couple seconds after he's gone into contact. I know this is going to get bogged down in semantics, but the reality is that we aren't talking about who is better at rucking. I'm talking about this from a positional standpoint and not every team needs Richie McCaw to win their own ball back quickly and effectively.
But the current coaching isn't to pre-bind with players, that is what I am saying. It just isn't, at least with the coaches I know (one being national level). What you are advocating is to have two bodies impacting the one tackler, if I am reading it correctly. That worked when the focus was winning the contact, now the approach is to attack the hole and not the tackler.

Quote:
Secondly, I'm not saying that every player should play 7's and 15's. Just that the skillset for 7's leads me (amongst many others) to that think that these players ought to be deft runners and ball-handlers. I mean sure, maybe they should split the programs...great. That's not what my point is though. My point is they already have all these 7's players (who do quite well in 7's), so focus on their strengths. I don't even see how that is questionable...its like letting Gaudreau play his style of game and not asking him to play the 4th line and try to impose himself physically.

No, the issue is that when players are off on the 7's program they don't play 15's. It isn't fair to the player, and sets them up for failure. You have 7's guys that are gone playing 7's and they don't get 15's time. To highlight the difference in 7's and 15's USA finished ranked #6, Kenya & Portugal were #13/#14. It is too different sports.

It is questionable because you don't have the space and time in 15's that you do in 7's.

At the end of the day we can agree to disagree.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 01-11-2016 at 01:06 PM. Reason: even I didn't understand what I had typed
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote