View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 12:44 PM   #6
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I'm not sure where you got those specs, mine has the lowest amount of ram, 1gb, expandable. There is no 512mb model as far as I know.

It looks like you're looking at the 431--- I have the 451 which seems to not be available anymore. That 431 is a bargain at under $400 though, my 451 was I think around $750, and the now its called a 451+ and is black while mine is white. The 451+ is $650, it seems to have 2gb expandable.

I use mine for lots of things, but the heaviest taxing it gets is streaming Plex at 1080p, while sometimes transcoding, and it does it flawlessly, even with more than one stream.

That being said, my 451 is now 1.5 years old, and I know I'll be upgrading when 4K becomes real. Right now even 4K projectors (I'm running a 1080p projector onto a 135" screen in the basement) do not make much difference in quality of the projection, so in 3 or so years if they do, I'll jump on that bandwagon.

For all my business needs, the 451 is overkill. I can backup and manage a robust database of word documents without a problem, but even the WHS Acer box did that 6 years ago.

EDIT: I now remember why I got rid of the WHS/Acer Box. I lost a lot of information due to faulty (and maybe user-caused) backup. I had a drive failure and could not recover. This is now my second Qnap (my first was an atom processor and became too slow), and I use Raid 5 and its awesome to just hot swap if a drive starts failing or fails. In particular, before with the WHS I had lost some family photos that were not replaceable, and that drove me at the time to get a qnap and a Raid 5 setup, and even I could set that up on the Qnap without problem.

Last edited by Kjesse; 08-08-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote