View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #1
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Home server died

Yesterday I decided it was a good day for computer maintenance. Needed to blow all the dust out of them. Sadly, my Windows Home Server did not fire back up. One of the drives appears to have died. Luckily I backed it up before shutting it down.

Now I'm thinking about replacement. Should have done this a while back but I loved having WHS with drive extender and the ability to back up/restore an entire PC. My first thought was to build a new one and try to get WHS back on to it but it's a 12 yr old O/S now and the security likely blows. Can't find the newer version either (2012)

So I started looking at NAS options and wow is there a lot out there now. I'm wondering what you guys use or suggest? The features most important to me is ease of adding new drives to increase storage, ability to mirror certain files and a solid backup strategy. Not sure I'm all that concerned with cloud storage, something they all seem to offer. or running an FTP site. Just need tons of storage, automated backups and ease in expansion and an intelligent GUI and decent client software for each PC that connects to it.

What do you guys use, what do you like/dislike about it?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote