View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the biggest advantage a good realtor can bring to the table is knowledge and experience. When I bought a townhome in Vancouver I was very pleased with my realtor up until I signed the offer. She was great in finding me places and talking me through everything, but once the nitty gritty went on, I wish I had someone else.

I wanted the microwave that was bought as part of the appliance upgrade package by the owners 3 years ago when the place was new. The contract said appliances and specified some, but didn't specify the microwave and the sellers took it. My realtor wanted a possession date two days before I did to make it easy for lawyers, but my possession date ended by making me the owner of record for the AGM and thus I had to pay $400 for a strata levy for a budget deficit. The money wasn't the problem here, just the fact that I wanted a different day and she didn't pick up that her date cost me money. The sellers took the window coverings and it took me two weeks to get them back. I even had to go pick up the keys myself from the seller's realtor because mine was busy that day.

I am much wiser on how to approach purchasing property now than when I bought my first one. Looking back, I feel that my realtor should have picked up some of these things. I am very happy with the property, but with a better realtor I would have had spent less money and had more things. Now when I interview a realtor I ask better questions and I get better results. Yes the paperwork can be done by most anyone, but the knowledge my realtor has and their willingness to fight on my behalf is what I value.