View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
You don't need a realtor, but if it is listed with one you will have to deal with their's. They will end up 'acting' on both parties behalf. No realtor will let you view a property without either your own realtor or themselves present, which is reasonable.

A good realtor will ensure you include everything you are entitled to in an offer to purchase, and ensure you get everything you paid for at possesion. You would be amazed at the crap sellers will leave behind and what they will take.

You don't need a lawyer either, but try processing your sale through land titles, or getting the bank to release funds to you without one.

If your buying, you don't usually save a whole lot bypassing a realtor, and they can find out a lot more about a property than you can, plus they have the inside track on new listings, exclusives, etc.

Selling is different, the hot markets we have had in recent years have made everyone think they don't need a realtor, and for the most part they haven't, but as times get tougher it is a lot easier to let a pro sell your house than yourself. I have done both, and selling is not my forte. Luckily I have arealtor friend who cuts me awesome deals on commision, so I have reverted to him and doubt I will try again on my own. FYI twice I have tried to sell private and gotten what I wanted in my pocket by using a realtor after failed attempts.

Selling on your own brings out all the tire kickers, nosy neighbors, etc. Realtors can bring in the same but for the most part they bring in buyers, and they deal with all the bs.
Well put, and you are correct about dealing with the bs however it is mostly behind closed doors so it appears that nothing is being done.

Just to add to my post. I think the biggest advantage to hiring a Realtor is to save you time (and time is money) along with bringing their knowledge of the city/buildings/rules to the table.
Add up all the time built into a single transaction from showings to closing work and you quickly see the benefits of hiring a Realtor.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com