View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
DementedReality
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default why do I need a realtor to BUY?

with all due respect to the host of this forum, i hope this is an ok subject matter.

so tell me, why do i need a realtor to buy a place? sure, its framed that it doesnt cost me anything, but clearly it does because the seller signs a contract agreeing to pay my realtor, so there is a cost built in there.

from what i can tell:

1) they set up showings
so, why cant i call realtors directly for access to their listings?
2) they do the paperwork on the contract
the paperwork is a bunch of fill in the blanks, why is the seller paying them on my behalf to do this work?
3) they speak for me to the other realtor when i make an offer
i negotiate for a living and feel quite confident in my own ability to do such negotiating

i think the system is gamed to ensure the life cycle of a realtor. other then the experience of previous negotiations, i dont know what i need a realtor for when i am buying. i would prefer the seller knock off the cost of the buying commission and if i need real estate advice, i can pay a consulting fee for that advice.

i guess i am just not that impressed with the real estate system. i am not looking to turn this into a bash realtors thread, but would like some concrete discussion on why the system has to be set up the way it is.

i will get into the specifics of my circumstances as the feedback comes in, wanted to keep this more general for now.