View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 11:31 AM   #151
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Nope.

He's an above average third line NHL hockey player.

No point in bringing fourth line into the discussion because it's hyperbole that's equal to calling him a second liner.

Forward #93 had 52 points this year ... Bennett isn't a first line player.

Forward #186 had 33 points this year, Bennett in an 82 game season was on pace for 31 this year. He's not a second liner, but he's close to the worst one in hockey.

Forward #279 had 21 points this year, the cut off for the best fourth liner. Bennett is well ahead.
I have to agree that he's turned himself into a pretty good hockey player for this team over the last 12 months. He hits, works his butt off and creates time and space for his team with his style of play (which is sorely needed). I would have no problem in seeing him extended long term at a low hit as I think at worst he brings a ton to the roster physically and effort wise. If he can expand his game further into the PK side of things and offer a mild uptick offensively, it would be worth it for sure vs any potential replacement we'd have to overpay for as a UFA or via trade.

For me, the real argument for Bennett long term is:
Can he continue to avoid the brutal penalties that plagued him again next season? - PIM continue to rise, the bad ones seem to be falling though.

Can he expand his game to become a useful PKer or at least a reliable defender? - No SHTOI at all and limited DZ useage is a red flag for a quality 3rd liner for me.

Can he find a way to improve his offensive output? - Ranks #225 and #228 out of #279 forwards in terms of shots and points respectively which is actually bang on the mark for a middling third liner in that regard.

Given the above, I just don't think advocating him as an above average third liner really means anything. We all know from watching him for this long that he's downright terrible offensively and that isn't going to change if he's playing in the top 6 or bottom 6. I'd still take what he brings to the team long term given the AAV is nice and low. If he does improve his game in the above areas, the Flames potentially have themselves a bargain bin in the Calle Jarnkrok neighborhood.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 05-14-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote