View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #48
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

I quit back in 2006. Only one small lapse in judgment when I went to vegas about 2 years ago, but it was only half a smoke and I couldn't even inhale...

The biggest thing for me was getting over the mental idea of "I just can't see myself not smoking. I smoke in all situations. In the car, drinking, at work, everywhere."

But soon, as time passes and you begin to build up your days without smoking, it becomes more of a personal achievement that you don't want to break.

"I haven't smoked in 2 months. I'm not breaking that now."

That went on for a while until I started playing hockey again, and I would rather play hockey and have some fun than be out of breath. So that was a personal reason to keep it going.

Now, I've got a daughter and there's nothing more motivating to never pick it up again than her.

As a smoker, you really have no idea of how bad it smells. Everything. The clothes, the car...

Now as a non-smoker, I get disgusted when someone who just smoked talks to me. F'in gross. You really can't appreciate what everyone has been telling you for years until you experience it for yourself.

I occasionally think, wow, this would be one of those times where a cigarette would just be wonderful. Then I snap out of it and carry on. It's really no longer an issue and it's rarely ever on my mind anymore. But it's taken years. Keep at it, you can quit.

It's tough. You've just got to get past a certain point (which is obviously different for everyone) and then it becomes a little easier day by day.

I went on Wellbutrin for a few months to quit and I credit that to really helping me. I saw no daemons eating flesh in my dreams, didn't want to kill myself. Wonder if I got a placebo. The only side affect was a bit of insomnia.

Stopped taking the pills with no adverse affects a few months later.

Last edited by Jayems; 02-11-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote