View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 05:53 AM   #29
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
Thanks for all the replies. We have a 7 hr layover in Montreal on the way to Iceland then a 2.5 hr layover in Iceland on the way to Norway. And then a 4 hr drive to get to our first stop in Norway. It's going to be a hell of a long day, sure wish they didn't cancel flying out of Halifax this year. It's adding at least another 9+ hrs to the journey. I'll have lots of time in Montreal at the start of the trip to walk around and ask staff what I'm going to need to do and where I'll need to go on the way back.

One more quick question.... My friend said to do the currency exchange at the airports instead of a bank in Canada because they exchange rate is better. Do I need to bring Canadian cash to exchange or can I just use my debit or Visa card?
I’ve done both ways in the past for currency. In Canada I’ve used Calforex a number of times and it’s good because the exchange rates are decent and I do like having some cash for wherever I’m going. In general, I use a credit card for most things and I do that traveling anyway, but not everywhere you go accepts them as frequently. I have had a situation or two where I didn’t have the local currency until I made it to a machine or something and it’s kind of irritating.

I have also used my bank card when I travel to take cash and as long as you go to an actual bank machine, the exchange rate is decent anyway. Stay away from third party machines or machines that are particularly touristy though; the rates are terrible. And same with the little booths or shops that advertise conversions for you with no commission. There is no commission, but the rates are pathetic! I know through my bank I could use foreign machines for free and just pay whatever the exchange rate is. You need a certain minimum in the account for that, but of course it depends on the bank.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote