View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 03:48 PM   #4348
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
This argument won't go away but doesn't make much sense.

The Flames from 5 years ago had a GM, assistant and a coaching staff.

Now they have a head of hockey operations, a GM, and three assistants and a coaching staff.

If they were insistent on hiring cheap coaches why did they double their hockey exec contingent?
I would have agreed with this in the past, but they are about to hit their ceiling. I have no idea how accurate the number is, but I have read on these boards a few times that the Flames are operating with a 5 million dollar profit margin. IF that is true, will the Flames be willing to take a loss?

I know that the owners in the past have stated that they do not pull money out of the organization, and that they are willing to spend to the cap, but now they may find themselves deciding between actual 'profit and loss'.

If Gulutzan is indeed replaced this off-season (which seems likely, but who knows), then it will be really interesting to see what names are available and who the Flames reach out to and interview.

I am not really worried about it as others are - if the product on the ice stinks, the some fans may not have the appetite to purchase tickets, and I am sure the owners are very aware of this. A winning team will go a long ways in changing public opinion when it comes to the new arena.

At any rate, it will be rather interesting to see who the replacement will end up being (if, once again, Gulutzan is replaced).

Do you think that the owners would be willing to operate at a loss, however small it may be? I am not sure myself right now. Not being greedy and trying to pull out as much money as they can is one thing, but losing money might be that line that they refuse to cross.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote