View Single Post
Old 11-15-2021, 04:57 PM   #256
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It's a complicated issue. Blake was in breach of a probation order, which is a very big deal in domestic violence cases to begin with.

It also seems very reckless of the police officers to fire into the vehicle, knowing that there were 3 children inside.

This also raises issues for all black women in the USA. How are they supposed to report domestic violence to the police, when they know an overly heavy handed response is awaiting their abuser, who is typically also their partner.
I would prefer not to watch the video again but I do recall the shots were more parallel to the vehicle instead of into it. I could be mistaken though. I think it was very much a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for the officers. They tried all they could, including less than lethal force with a taser and literally ripping his shirt off and then they either had to let him take the car and the kids on a high speed pursuit or endanger them with a knife. I don't think this was at all like a Breonna Taylor, Eric Garner, Elijah McClain or even a Rayshard Brooks situation. Blake is the one to blame.

To your last point, I think you're absolutely correct. I mean even Ms. Booker noted it saying how she didn't want to call police at all in her 911 call. But probably the worst thing we can do to domestic abuse victims is pull a Lanny_McDonald and call them compulsive liars for no reason because now even if things do work out for them they are still villainized. I wonder if she was white with the name Jane Smith if she would be called a liar and extortionist with no proof or is it just because she is named Laquisha?

Last edited by OptimalTates; 11-15-2021 at 05:03 PM.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote