View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 06:11 PM   #313
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like players that play gritty, even riding that proverbial line. I start to dislike players that are 'dirty'.

There is a fine line between being 'greasy' and 'dirty'. That elbow (or whatever you want to call it - attempted elbow if you may) was in the dirty column for me. I have zero issues with Tkachuk's game other than this. The elbow yesterday, the headbutt earlier in the season, POSSIBLY a slewfoot (I will give him the benefit of the doubt on that one)... but it is stuff like that which makes me dislike a player. Just hope he learns to keep on the right side of that line.

I used to like Dennis Gauthier. Real nice open-ice hits that kept the opposition honest and forced them to keep their heads up. I thought he was a defensive defencemen on the rise. Really liked the kid's game... until I started noticing his knee would slide out on hits too often, connecting in a dangerous manner. Started disliking him, and I was very happy to see him traded away.

I can cheer very loudly for a pest that riles up the other team, and a guy who plays very physical and lays it all on the line. I have always enjoyed the physical element of hockey - the hard hits, the fighting, etc. What I have never accepted in this game is the deliberate attempts to injure. I love Tkachuk, and I think not only will he be a hell of a player, but I feel he already is. I just don't want to start seeing him continue doing what I consider this 'cheap and dirty' stuff.

Did Doughty have it coming? Doughty is fairly cheap, but I don't think he deserves an elbow to the head. The only guys that 'deserve' stuff like that are the guys that actually perpetrate this type of actions - the Cookes, Torres', Ruutuus, Marchments, etc.

With that being said, I just think he gets a fine. He has been lucky in the past (like the headbutt incident - so no, I don't buy that since it is the Flames, the NHL will crack down hard), and IIRC, he still has a clean record. A fine is the first step, especially since Doughty was playing after the incident.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: