View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 03:19 PM   #39
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
So these Ubiquiti folks, they don't do the router/wireless all in one solution. You buy a router that is only hardwired and buy the wireless receiver separate?
Correct for the Ubiquiti UniFi line, which is enterprise grade.

They also sell a product called the AmpliFi, which uses a central router with a wireless AP built in like a normal wireless router, then two additional wireless access points. The APs are entirely wireless (no wired backhaul for AmpliFi).

A consumer 'wireless router' is a actually a router, switch, and wireless access point in a single package. An 'all-in-one' solution, easy for average consumer to go out, buy, and set up. When the technology advances to the point that the wireless standard is outdated, or the hardware is sufficiently obsolete and no longer up to the task of doing what it was supposed to, you go out and buy a whole new box.

The advantage of an enterprise system is that everything is separate. Your router is a single box (the USG). The previously collocated switch ports, those are now a separate switch. The wireless access points (this is the best part), those are not only separate components but also are able to be located away from the router and switch; as far or as close as is necessary for what you're trying to accomplish. Being able to separate your access points from your router is a huge leg-up for signal strength.

I try and force all my devices to use 5GHz if they support it. With a few edge cases, none of my devices in the house slip below 80% signal strength with just two APs. The Mrs. is outside in our back yard, and her signal strength is sitting at 67% on 5GHz wireless AC. The device is still connected at 650 Mbps.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 07-27-2018 at 03:31 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote