View Single Post
Old 05-14-2021, 01:00 PM   #86
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Only 3 teams with cups (one apiece), one well before salary cap and two right after it was implemented (and maybe the effects not quite felt yet). Only 5 other finals appearances if my math is right.

I'd be interested in how many other teams haven't drafted 1OA since the cap and their results. Or how many haven't won a cup since they got their 1OA. I know one that's had 4 and still hasn't won a cup.
Here is a little look at success of top picks

2005: Crosby, Ryan, Johnson, Pouliot
2006: Johnson, Staal, Toews, Backstrom
2007: Kane, Van Riemsdyk, Turris, Hickey
2008: Stamkos, Doughty, Bogosian, Pieterangelo
2009: Tavares, Hedman, Duchene, Kane
2010: Hall, Seguin, Gudbranson, Johansen
2011: Nugent-Hopkins, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Larsson
2012: Yakupov, Murray, Galchenyuk, G. Reinhart
2013: Mackinnon, Barkov, Drouin, Jones
2014: Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisaitl, Bennett
2015: McDavid, Eichel, Strome, Marner
2016: Matthews, Laine, Dubois, Puljujarvi
2017: Hischier, Patrick, Heiskanen, Makar
2018: Dahlin, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi, Tkachuk
2019: Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Byram
2020: Lafrenier, Byfield, Stutzle, Raymond

It definitely takes time to turn teams around...but from that data I'd say Colorado is primed to win multiple Stanley Cups. Florida is in a great position. Toronto and Edmonton should challenge. New Jersey should be a power house in a few years. Chicago is the closest "old" champion to be entering a new wave of competitiveness if Toews and Kane can stay effective.

St. Louis drafted twice at the high end, and won 1 Cup with only 1/2 of those players (they leveraged Johnson in a trade). It's wild to look back at the last decade and a half and see the Stanley Cup go to so few teams.

Pittsburgh x3
Chicago x3
LA x2
Tampa x1
Boston x1
St. Louis x1
Washington x1
Carolina x1
Anaheim x1
Detroit x1

Also, three of the x1 winners were the first three seasons that had a salary cap, and those teams then either fell apart or never really competed at that level again. The last twelve years were effectively dominated by Chicago, Pittsburgh and LA. Ovechkin and Backstrom's reign in Washington has always kept them near the top as well, and Tampa with Stamkos and Hedman in a similar fashion in recent years.

Last edited by ComixZone; 05-14-2021 at 01:14 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post: