View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 01:03 PM   #34
gkatyal
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckminsterFuller View Post
Having lived and worked there for 5 years, my advice is to go elsewhere. One of the highest murder rates in the Americas and when I lived there, 3 traffic fatalities every 2 days. I saw the wrong end of guns 4 times and lived to tell.

Avoid the tourist traps of Dunns River and anything connected to Bob. His bith place and tomb is over run by begging rasta scum. Worst times I ever had were in MoBay.

You want fun and adventure, rent a motorcycle and head into the villages in the hills or out towards Treasure Beach on the south coast past Negril. Stop at local shops for a hot Dragon and bun and cheese.

If you make it to Kingston, dine at the Grog Shoppe.

If you want to stay safe, go from airport to air conditioned bus to the razor wire fenced compound of your all inclusive and then go back home again. But then I know someone who did that for a honeymoon only to have his bride raped in their hotel room.

If you're not going to leave the hotel, you may as well stay home, get a truck load of sand dropped off and plug in a sunlamp.

Food - Try Sour Sop and jackfruit. Sour Sop ice cream is terrific. Citrus should be in season.

Go local for Mannish Water (literally goats head soup), curry goat and white rice. Jerk chicken or pork is good. Aki and salt fish is a wonderful breakfast. Eat it with Johnny Cakes. Consume as much fresh fish as you possibly can.

Weed is illegal but tolerated as long as you are not in public with it. NEVER travel with it. Smoke a spliff (one per person, never shared) in your cabanna/room or somewhere private. Not on the beach or walking down the street (you'd get away with that at home not there). When I lived there it was a constant $1US for spliff and $2US for a beer, that was local prices, not tourist prices and it never varied with the always depreciating exchange rate.

Bring home Tia Maria, 21 yr old Appletons and Blue Mtn Coffee.

Always remember you are in a foreign country.
I brought back the 21 year old, it cost me $125 USD, but if you can find the Masters Blend 30 yr old ($90 USD) it is actually rated higher. Mind you these rums are not meant for mixing but are to be enjoyed as you would for a fine bourbon.
gkatyal is offline   Reply With Quote