View Single Post
Old 05-03-2020, 12:37 PM   #1
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:
Icon37 Ancient Rome - Historical Fiction and Non-Fiction Reading Recommendations

Popular subject and I’m looking for fairly specific reading, so hoping CP has some input. Kept a number of my university textbooks but they’re overwhelmingly non-fiction.

Looking for reading recommendations about Ancient Rome. I recently re-read Robert Harris’ Cicero trilogy and it’s the best of both worlds imo. Exciting fiction mixed with well researched history.

When I say specific, here’s what I’m ideally looking for.

1. Historical fiction or non fiction that has a decent narrative with regards to the overall political maneuvering. I have no interest in reading a textbook with charts of military numbers.

2. Time period from about the time of Sulla to Tiberius. But anything from the founding of Rome to the fall of the empire is fine.

3. Higher level politics focus. I don’t want to read the story of a common farmer. And I don’t have a ton of interest in gladiator revolts and the like.

4. For non fiction, primary sources are cool and I already have Tacitus, Cassius Dio, Cicero and Livy.

TIA
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: