View Single Post
Old 03-31-2019, 06:02 PM   #40
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t one of the biggest issue for Women professional sports in North America is the lack of women viewership? Women’s sports leagues are always going to be a hard sell to men, but I think these leagues could do a better job in trying to gain women viewership. I think tennis is a pretty good example of a women sport that gets attention all year. I guess the same goes with The UFC. I think if you would poll the viewership of both sports women viewership is probably quite high. Whatever tennis and the UFC are doing is working and women’s hockey should take notes from how they market their sport. They are individual sports tho so that’s the biggest difference.
The WNBA also struggles for views every year as well, could be a case of way too much competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As sexist as this might sound it's reality. Women's tennis players and ufc fighters (arguable that they are thriving outside of Rousey who doesn't fight anymore) are much more marketable because the men watching can see their bodies. They can be marketed based on sex appeal. You can't do that covered in a helmet and layers of pads.

Also, I'm not sure why people think women's hockey is an untapped market for the NHL. The ladies that are into hockey likely watch the NHL and the ones that aren't will likely take an inexplicable amount of money to convince. It's much easier and likely more profitable to grow the game by attracting male viewership overseas or in non traditional markets like Arizona. It is really unfortunate but that's just the way it is.

Last edited by ST20; 03-31-2019 at 06:05 PM.
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote