View Single Post
Old 02-19-2018, 12:39 PM   #544
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
so Tennis.com is down to the final 10 greatest players, and Jimmy Connors has landed in 10th spot today. to be honest, I expected him to go higher given his longevity and record 109 titles (though tournament quality could be questioned). so how does the rest of the list go? I shamelessly stole this from one of the comments but it seems reasonable:

10. Jimmy Connors
9. Ken Rosewall
8. John McEnroe
7. Ivan Lendl
6. Bjorn Borg
5. Pete Sampras
4. Novak Djokovic
3. Rod Laver
2. Rafael Nadal
1. Roger Federer

I'm kind of waffling on the Sampras vs Djokovic order, but I think Nole's peak brilliance on all surfaces clinches it, even if he hasn't yet matched the slam total. any other surprises possible? they're not going to do something crazy and mess with the top 3 are they?
I've been following the list as well, surprised Agassi is only #11. I've seen in the past people say Djokovic was ahead of Nadal (didn't agree at the time nor now) but with Nadals year last year you can't make that argument anymore. Pretty good top 10 to me Djokovic and Sampras are so close. Sampras has more weeks at #1 and more Grand Slams but was a mug on Clay. Sampras was also better on grass but their Hard Court work is about even IMO. I would have to put Sampras ahead right now and for Djokovic to over take Sampras Djoker needs to get to 14 Grand Slams as Sampras has such a large advantage in weeks at #1 which means more than a French Open title.

What would Nadal have to do to overtake Federer? IMO if he wins 4 more Grand Slams (with 2 being French titles) and assuming Fed doesn't win another would that be enough to be #1?