View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #106
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My previous opinions on this issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Can I also be the first one to say that who the eff cares what Theo was like, especially after the flames. While he was with the team he was the most prolific and important player to the franchise until Iginla and Kipper arrived.

Fleury should be retired and in the hall of fame based on what he did on the ice. He's top 60all time in points.

He has more goals than Doug Gilmore, Pavel Bure, Alex Kovalev, Owen Nolan, Brian Propp. Theo has more assists than Mike Gartner, Glenn Anderson, Alex Kovalev, Paul Kariya, Jarome Iginla, Frank Mahovlich, Martin St. Louis, and Joe Nieuwendyk.

29th all=time playoff points per game, last appearance in the playoffs scoring 17 points in 18 games, losing in the conference final in 7 games to the eventual Cup winning Dallas Stars.

Theo is 49th all-time in Points Per Game. Ahead of Mats Sundin who just got in as a first ballot hall of famer.

All Bolded are Hall of Famers.

Five international appearances for Canada in major tournaments, 1 Olympic Gold Medal as a significant contributor. He was integral in that 2002 Gold Medal.

Theo was never my favourite player, I wasn't terribly broken up when he was traded, but when he kept himself together on the ice, I enjoyed his game. He is not in the upper tier of the hall, but, he is at the top of the list of the next tier. In my opinion, the off-ice issues serve to bolster his hall credentials rather than draw from them, much like his size.

He should be in, The Hall and The Rafters.
Quote:
I'd be pissed too.

He got cut off a country club retirement home after outproducing some of the old tired country club residents. He was more right than he knew at the time, that team didn't even get to the first round.

He didn't look great, but wow, proof is in the pudding when conroy gets a spot on the team because he's buddies with Iginla and they make him retire midseason because he probably shouldn't have made the roster in the first place.

Nigel Dawes scored roughly 30 points that year. Fleury probably should have beat him for a roster spot.

This is all hindsight, but it appears as though for most of the conversation about his bad attitude is a) focused on recent things he's said, and b) not blowing smoke and shining up turds.

3 Months later, Darryl was gone, Conroy was retired, Calgary was out of it and Nigel Dawes was patrolling the second line wing position, with no flames player scoring 70 points that season.

Theo probably wasn't good enough to make the team, but so were other players on that roster who did make it.

Is it really coming down to 'if Fleury spoke in meaningless platitudes and showed zero emotion his number would be retired"? That's 'effing stupid.
Quote:
Fleury should have his number retired before Nieuwendyk has his honoured.

Absolute embarrassment for me as a Flames fan how the organization disregards Theo's contributions to the organization.
Quote:
Fleury's numbers and accomplishments on the ice for the organization should drown out near anything fleury has to say with his mouth.

The organization should show their maturity and rightfully honour the player who was the organization for many years, until the arrival of iginla.
As an organization the Flames make it pretty freakin' difficult to be a fan of theirs.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post: