View Single Post
Old 12-27-2019, 05:20 AM   #1947
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Anyone played Octopath Traveller? Looks to be on sale on PC right now down to 50 Canadian.

I was a big fan of the JRPG's back in the day, more so the tactics games, but definitely loved me some Lufia/FF/SoM/CT. This looks to be a pretty legit upgraded visual super nintendo JRPG experience.
Yeah I played it about 30 hours, didn’t finish it though. The battle system and visuals are really great, but the story and design are not. You go through each character’s chapter one by one, and even though the other party members are with you they don’t actually interact or participate in each other’s stories. And every chapter was exactly the same (get somewhere, find a quest, do a dungeon/boss, cut scene, done). There was also an egregious amount of level grinding in between, as there would be recommended levels for each chapter that you absolutely wouldn’t be at through natural progression (and you had to at least be within one or two levels MAX of the recommended or you’d get massacred), so often in between chapters I had to stop for 2 hours to grind trash mobs, which wore down my enjoyment of the battle system a lot too.

Also it’s just the character stories, which definitely vary in quality. There’s no overarching narrative that ends up tying everything together.

Lots of good ideas in that game, but the execution stumbles a lot.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post: