View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 09:08 PM   #101
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
Sorry I'm just getting caught up on this due to travel for work and wanted to respond. 1. That same GP league is in Calgary. That league in Calgary has went from 180+ teams a few years ago to around 70 now (maybe less). If you ask the opinion of a lot of people there (and here) you'd probably find that it's less fighting back and more a drop off in the level of service and give a #### about the customer's experience.

I think what you're saying is true about any business. Cut out all the fluff and prices could be cheaper for everything.

I run beer league recreational events and have worked for leagues. Profit is made because there is a level of service provided. I started that original GP league for that company btw. The reason people like(d) the league concept is because they didn't have to do any of the stuff people hate doing. Collecting fees, scheduling ice, scheduling games, dealing with players/managers/refs/score keepers, disciplining people. Most importantly people like having someone who cared about their experience and would actively try to make it better.

It's noble that the those guys are going to run it not for profit but I think they will change their tune when they see there is actual real work involved to make leagues go. That being said.... fees at some leagues are quite inflated.

One way your idea could happen though is if community rinks should run their own smaller leagues with their own ice instead of renting it out to for profit league providers. Take the American private rink model approach, like Winsport did or Great Plains.
Well I'll say it. NCHL , having played in it, and ALCAL as well, are poorly run.

But a league that is run well, considering its massive size is HNA. I highly recommend them, and their league administrator James Kelly. We'll be returning.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote