View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 07:40 AM   #39
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dying4acup View Post
I'd be stunned if he makes first cut. There is 0 expectation for him to play this year. His appearance at main camp is purely courtesy.
Expectations are low for Valimaki, but there is a reasonable chance IMO that he could show enough at camp to be in the mix for a spot.

The way things sit now on the depth chart with players signed to NHL deals or will be signed to NHL deals (barring any further additions or PTOs):

Gulutzan's preference to have left shots play the left side and right shots play the right side, likely takes Andersson out of the running for 6th D. Being waiver exempt probably takes Andersson out of the running for 7th D. He is likely the first call up if one of Hamilton, Hamonic, or Stone get injured.

Healey probably needs at least one season pro before he is even in consideration for a call up.

On paper, Valimaki needs to show he is better than Kulak, Wotherspoon, Bartkowski, and Kylington. The first 2 have yet to establish themselves as everyday NHLers. Bartkowski didn't have a NHL contract until just before the trade deadline. Kylington still has work to do on some of the brain farts and the defensive side of the game. The Flames already exposed Wotherspoon to waivers last year, don't think they will be too concerned about losing Bartkowski to waivers.

I think in the end it is unlikely Valimaki makes the team. But given the Flames current situation, he certainly could be in the mix at camp and it wouldn't surprise me. Being able to hang with Kulak, Bartkowski, and Wotherspoon isn't impossible for him.

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-30-2017 at 08:16 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: