View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 06:22 PM   #9
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you're good at drywall patches of that size cutting it out and replacing is probably the best bet.

But if you consider drywall the devil's product like I do, its kind of difficult to make the patch seamless. I have done patches like that quite a few times and its quite difficult to get seams to line up depth wise and all that. As well you will need to make sure you cut it out with access to studs sp that you can screw the new piece in. Then the taping and mudding is another adventure. All of the above is fine if you're covering it with different tile or something else, but because you're exposing it with shelving you want it to look good.

I wouldn't just scrape and mud the whole thing, because with all of the rough exposed paper, as soon as you sand the mud, you may hit some paper and then you're hooped.

What I would potentially consider is to scrape and gouge the #### out of that area getting a bit of depth into the gypsum. Then use a setting compound and apply it as you would drywall mud. Setting compound dries much harder than drywall mud and sands really well.

I have done this once in an area where I removed tile from unpainted drywall, so when I peeled the tile off it brought chunks of paper and gypsum with it. It took some patience and time, but I got it looking better than any of the cut out patches ive ever done.

*Disclaimer: Im the furthest thing from a professional.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post: