View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #3113
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
The other issue with a Mars mission besides length of time etc is the radiation issue. The amount of radiation and how to shield a human passenger from it is a major issue. Or rather how to shield a human passenger AND keep the weight down so you can actually launch the craft.
Agreed.

Except, if you look at it from the perspective of realistically assembling a vehicle in space you get around a lot of weight and fuel issues.

One of the problems with the Lunar Lander's original design was it was too heavy compared to the weight that the launch vehicle could carry, so they stripped it down to the point that they used foil instead of panels and took the chairs out of the lander and made the astronauts stand.

If you assemble the craft in space, then your looking at launching components. However this is a far more complicated undertaking then assembling the ISS.

You're basically having to build a ship yard in space and training personal to build something in zero gravity.

In terms of the radiation, you are absolutely correct. But again if you go against the grain of having to launch your ship from orbit, you can shuttle the heavier materials up using multiple launches, instead of building something heavy and having to build an even heavier lift launch vehicle.

In terms of propulsion, by not having to escape heavy earth gravity you can carry less fuel or go to something exotic based around a nuclear technology to create thrust.

Just guessing here.

The question is also around the pollution aspect of launching 100's of carrgo rockets from the earth to deliver materials into orbit.

Like I said, I'm all for returning to the moon as long as its not using the same theories as the 60's and its designed around the idea of test running for a mars mission.

What if you could build one exploration vehicle that can be reused and refueled for additional trips. What if you decided to do an orbital mission to Venus, that's only 3 months, and you could insert an orbital manned platform or observatory, I mean we are never ever going to land there. But being able to study it close with our own eyes would be amazing.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: