View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #80
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
TOP GUN, it's a requirement these days. The first question they ask in interviews is "Have you seen TOP GUN?" And then to make sure you aren't lying they ask you to recite a quote from the movie, the more obscure the better. So no "Too close for missles, switching to guns." More like "That's a hell of a gamble with a 30 million dollar plane lieutenant."

It has been awhile since I got my license, but I think the Private license age starts at 16? But if memory serves you can get a recreational permit at 14.

But just to nurture it, grab some snack and go watch airplanes at the airport. When I was in college and more airplane nerdy I would study at the terminal and watch airplanes come and go for motivation and inspiration. But that backfired and I didn't get much studying done.

I don't know if the Flying Clubs out at Springbank still offer "Discovery Flights" but that would a good and relatively inexpensive idea as well.
Oh yeah, we've been doing that for years. In fact that might have been where the interest started, as I've been a bit of a plane spotter nerd for some time also. Many Peter's burgers, milkshakes and Ice Caps have been consumed over off McKnight. It's a pretty crappy viewing area though. Hopefully the new terminal/runway will provide better spotting areas.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote