View Single Post
Old 09-25-2022, 11:41 PM   #1
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Strongman Thread

Something I watched back in the 90s when I was a teen (world’s strongest man) and have gotten back into lately is Strongman. (And now woman) The rise of YouTube and online personalities has really charged the sport lately as prize purses have gone up and there are more events of note.

The big four competitions now are 1. Worlds Strongest Man 2. Arnold’s Classic 3. Rogue Invitational (new but biggest prize) 4. Shaw Classic (new but is growing fast and is run by Brian Shaw one of the greatest strongmen ever) There are a bunch of other shows like Giants Live, WUS and other regional and national shows. (Europes, britains, US, Canada, etc)

There are a lot of really interesting and fascinating personalities. For people who’ve recently left the sport are Hafthor Bjornsson (Aka the mountain from GoT), Eddie Hall (broke 500kg dl barrier), the aforementioned Brian Shaw and Big Z the best strongman ever most likely. Well the last two haven’t left but they’re not threats to win WSM anymore. Further back you got people like Marius P, Magnus ver Magnusson, Bill Kazmaier, Jon Pall Sigmarsson (RIP) and others.

And now we also have some really interesting top competitors like Oleksi Novikov (awesome Ukrainian), the Stoltman brothers, Martins Licis, Evan Singleton and others. There is even recent Canadian athletes like JF Caron (sadly probably retired at this point) and now Mitch Hooper who just won his first competition with an absolutely amazing 5 second 500kg yoke. I feel he can win WSM in the next year or two.

Anyway I figure there are other fans of strongman out here to talk about the sport. There is a ton of events and variety in the sport comp to comp. it’s a lot of fun to watch and as someone who does weightlifting it’s fun to watch and pay attention to. And as a Canadian I have a fellow Canadian to root for although I’ll never root against Novikov.

Big Loz is probably my favorite channel to watch as he’s entertaining and keeps me up to date with the sport. It’s a bit of a quiet time right now after summer events but coming up in about a month is the rogue invitational which has a stacked field.

Last edited by Kasi; 09-25-2022 at 11:50 PM.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kasi For This Useful Post: