View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 07:19 PM   #100
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
The PAL course itself says to wait 60 seconds to confirm that a hangfire hasnt occurred.
Sure, because you might have the one in a billion guns that'll fire 30 seconds after pulling the trigger so it's better to be exceedingly safe than sorry. But the Crown's gun expert testified that the longest verified hang fire in the studies that he was aware of was 280 milliseconds.

Like I mentioned above, the defense lawyer had to resort to printing out a Reddit thread to use as anecdotal evidence of people claiming to have had hang fires that lasted a prolonged period of time.

Quote:
I also dont see the rest of the items you listed to be implausible. The situation would have been tense. I could see him losing track of how many shots he loaded, how many he fired, and what was left in the gun. This is a farmer trying to protect his family not a trained law enforcement professional. Look how many police officers have trouble in tense situations. So I dont find it implausible he was under a high level of stress and didnt realize that he pulled the trigger one more time than the number of bullets that had fired.
OK, but all those things happening at once? It's possible I suppose, but to me is extremely implausible. This guy happens to have a hang fire that's exponentially longer than any verified example, at the exact moment that he's leaning into a car full of people who were trespassing and trying to steal his property, and the gun just happened to be pointed right at the victim's head at that exact precise moment when the bullet finally fired? I don't know how you can say that's not implausible. Not impossible I suppose, but to me at least that is not a reasonable explanation of what happened.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote