View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 09:32 PM   #26
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I think 4th place is realistic. As bad as things have been going, it's not like Chelsea and Arsenal are doing well either. Chelsea have a new manager, can't strengthen and have lost a worldclass player in Hazard. Arsenal don't have any cash to strengthen it seems because Kroenke is beyond terrible. Given that expectations are pretty low, I think United could surprise a few people this upcoming year.
I don't think anyone is thinking that 4th place is unrealistic. But I would harldy consider it surprising anyone considering the criteria for obtaining it would be being the best of a club in a battle between them, a club in probably worse shape and another in a similar situation as ourselves with a new raw manager but having lost their best player and being unable to strengthen their squad.

The only way that United would surprise people is by narrowing the gap between them and the top three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
But please enlighten me then which CB United should buy instead? I think we can all agree that a new CB is an absolute must. Which realistic option is out there that is cheaper and better than Maguire? I'll wait. And don't list players like De Ligt who would turn us down in a heartbeat.
That's the thing. I get that they need a CB but Maguire to me reeks of their typical kneejerk overpaying reaction.
Sure he might be the best available at this moment in time. Sure he might be an upgrade in what we have, But at that price is he someone that I believe that will put them over the top for a long time the way Rio did? I don't believe it.
My point is, if OGS believes he is someone to anchor the defence for years to come then by all means, go for it. If, however he feels he is simply a very good upgrade then I would prefer they walk away and show a bit more patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Media blows up Maguire after the WC, and naturally being English inflates his value. Yes he’s good, not highest CB transfer ever good.

Lindelof in there, is sobering also.
Agreed with the first part. Second part? I like Lindelof ...a lot.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote