View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 04:27 AM   #167
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
What? This will be his second year pro, but don't you want him to dominate the AHL, at least be a starting goaltender before you throw him to the wolves as being in a 1a/1b situation in Calgary with a career backup.

He is a good prospect but he is still just that, let him simmer in the minors, then bring him up slowly, first in the backup role to an experienced #1 and then eased into the starters role ala Frederik Andersen.

Rushing a goaltender with potential can do the exact opposite of what you hope for them to do.
2nd year pro plus playing as the #1 for three years in college, again, he's 23 years old and by all accounts is now back to normal after surgery and in fact has looked awesome the last two months. Gillies was drafted 5 years ago, at some point you have to start playing them or why bother drafting a goalie at all?
And not sure what you mean by Andersen being eased in, at 22 he arrived in NA, played one season in the AHL and was Anaheim's best goalie the next year until he got hurt,he returned and started 7 PO games.

Of the top 10 goalies in the league last year only one was buried in the minors past age 23 and that player was an un-drafted Cam Talbot.

Like I stated, start with Gillies(assuming a good camp) in a tandem, if he can't handle it you send him down and pick up someone as a stop gap. I swear my head will explode if we sign some old fart goalie like Bishop for huge $$$ or trade for a MAF only to get another Elliott but only worst because they would be long term and very expensive. I would personally rather shore up the top 6 and another dman with that money.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote